THIS ONLINE TOOL IS FOR SELF-REPRESENTED DEBTORS ONLY
Bankruptcy has serious long-term financial and legal consequences and hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended. The Bankruptcy Court is not permitted to provide legal advice. Individuals filing for bankruptcy without an attorney are still responsible for knowing and following all of the legal requirements. Low or no cost legal resources are available in all divisions of the bankruptcy court. For additional information on hiring an attorney, click here.
What is eSR?
- eSR is an online tool to help individuals complete a chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy petition when they have decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney.
Who can use eSR?
- Individuals who wish to file a bankruptcy petition and who live in the Central District of California can use eSR. To determine if you can use eSR, enter your residential ZIP code in the ZIP Code Search.
- Important Note: eSR is not available to attorneys or bankruptcy petition preparers. eSR is not designed for business or corporate bankruptcy filings. eSR is only available for chapter 7 and chapter 13 filings.
Why use eSR?
- There is no cost to use eSR. Pay only the filing fee.
- eSR has a guided, step-by-step process that allows you up to 45 days to complete.
- Your personal information is only accessible to you using a unique login and password assigned to you.
- eSR is accessible 24 hours a day from any Internet-enabled computer.
- There is no software to download or purchase.
How do I use eSR?
- Obtain credit counseling from a court-approved credit counseling agency. The law requires credit counseling before filing bankruptcy.
- Collect all of your financial documents before you begin.
- Create a user profile, unique login, and password.
- Answer questions about your property, income and debts.
- Complete and sign the eSR Declaration form.
- Submit or mail the Declaration form, Statement of Social Security Number, creditor mailing list, and filing fee to the bankruptcy court.
- Note: An automatic stay (injunction) is NOT in effect until a bankruptcy case number is issued by the bankruptcy court.
- Note: A bankruptcy petition WILL BE DISMISSED if the Declaration Form, the Statement of Social Security Number, the mailing list of creditors, and the filing fee are NOT received by the court.
- You may get started using eSR: for Chapter 7, click here and for Chapter 13, click here.
eSR Computer Requirements
- Internet connection.
- Adobe Reader (version 8 or higher).
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled.
- Browser requirements - It is recommended that you use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari.
Electronic Drop Box
After you receive your bankruptcy case number, click here to request access to the Electronic Drop Box.
- For technical and procedural assistance on eSR, please contact the Call Center at 855-460-9641. Alternatively, you may contact us via online chat.