You are here

Bankruptcy Case, What If The One I Am Interested In Has Been Archived?

Cases closed for one year or more may be archived at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Perris, California. To determine if a case has been archived, contact the Clerk's Office in your division.

To retrieve case information or copies of documents from NARA, you must first obtain the Accession Number, Location Number, and Box Number from the clerk's office where the bankruptcy case was filed. You may obtain this information in person, by phone, or by writing to the Records Department of the court division where the bankruptcy case was filed. You may then contact NARA directly or pay a fee to the clerk's office to retrieve the case for you. When you make your request to the clerk's office, the fee will be identified.

Instructions for ordering from NARA.

FAQ Type: 
General Info