United States Bankruptcy Court
United States Bankruptcy Court
Central District of California
Edward R. Roybal Federal Building and Courthouse
255 E. Temple Street, Suite 1582 / Courtroom 1575
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Court Recorder Contact
Emergency Motion Contacts
Combined Disclosure Statement and Plan of Reorganization
Guidelines for Valuing and Avoiding Liens in Chapter 13 CasesInstructions for Telephoning ChambersJudge Klein allows "no look fees" for the services set forth in the table in Section 2.9(b) of the Court Manual, effective March 2014Judge Klein's Chapter 13 ProceduresJudge Klein's Judicial Variance StatementJudge Klein Requires Individual Chapter 11 Debtors To Use Local Bankruptcy Rules FormsNotice Regarding Failure to Timely Appear for Scheduled HearingNotice Regarding Posting on Courtroom Bulletin BoardProcedure For Approval of Disclosure Statement and Confirmation of Chapter 11 Plan When the Debtor is Not an IndividualTentative Ruling Procedures
Chapter 13 Calendar
PROCEDURES REGARDING TELEPHONIC APPEARANCES
BEFORE THE HONORABLE SANDRA R. KLEIN
Telephonic appearances will be allowed in matters before Judge Sandra R. Klein in Courtroom 1575, except as follows:
1. Adversary proceeding initial status conferences and pretrial conferences (all counsel and all self-represented parties must appear in person).
2. Trials and evidentiary hearings (all counsel, all self-represented parties, and all witnesses must appear in person).
3. Chapter 11 status conferences (debtor’s counsel or self-represented debtors must appear in person at every status conference; other parties in interest may appear telephonically).
4. Chapter 11 disclosure statement hearings and chapter 11 confirmation hearings (all counsel and all self-represented parties must appear in person).
5. Chapter 13 hearings (all counsel and all self-represented parties must appear in person).
6. Hearings on matters in which a timely opposition is filed.
7. Reaffirmation hearings (debtor and debtor’s counsel (if applicable) must appear in person; other parties in interest may appear telephonically).
8. Any other matters for which the Court indicates that a personal appearance is required.
All self-represented parties and all counsel must adhere to the following procedures and rules to appear telephonically:
1. Standard Procedure
Telephonic appearances may be arranged by calling Court Call, (888-882-6878) an independent conference call company, by 2:00 p.m. the day before the hearing.
2. Emergency Procedure
The email seeking to appear telephonically because of an unexpected emergency must be received by 6:00 a.m. the day of the hearing, must include “Telephonic Request due to Emergency” in the subject line of the email, and provide the following information in the body of the email:
a. Case name:
b. Case number:
c. Hearing date:
d. Hearing time:
e. Calendar number:
f. Self-represented party or requesting attorney name:
g. Party represented by requesting attorney (if applicable):
h. Exigent circumstances necessitating emergency telephonic procedure:
In the email, the self-represented party or attorney must demonstrate that exigent and unanticipated circumstances necessitate the application of the Court’s emergency telephonic procedures.
By 8:00 a.m. on the day of a hearing, Judge Klein’s chambers staff will respond to all emergency requests received by 6:00 a.m. that day. Any emergency requests received after 6:00 a.m. on the day of a hearing will not be granted and Judge Klein’s chambers staff will not respond to such requests.
If an emergency request to appear telephonically is approved, a self-represented party or counsel must:
a. Immediately contact Court Call to arrange a telephonic appearance; and
b. Notify Judge Klein’s courtroom deputy (213-894-5856) before 8:15 a.m. on the day of the hearing that the self-represented party or counsel was approved to appear telephonically.
If an emergency request to appear telephonically is denied, or if Court Call is not able to accommodate the late request, the self-represented party or counsel will not be permitted to appear telephonically and must appear in person in court at the appropriate time.
3. Rules during Telephonic Appearances; Waiver of Appearance
The following rules apply for a telephonic appearance:
a. Parties appearing telephonically must use a landline with a handset or a headset.
b. Parties appearing telephonically may not:
i. Use a cellular phone.
ii. Use a speakerphone.
iii. Participate from any location with significant ambient noise.
Click here for a printable version of these procedures
Bankruptcy Code (Title 11)Federal Rules of Bankruptcy ProcedureLocal Bankruptcy RulesLocal Bankruptcy Rule FormsPost Judgment Interest RatesGovernment Units' Mailing Addresses
Judicial Seminar Disclosure|Judicial Misconduct & Disability
Home | Glossary of Legal Terms | Translate | BrowseAloud