THIS ONLINE TOOL IS FOR DEBTORS ONLY
Bankruptcy has serious long-term financial and legal consequences and hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended. The Bankruptcy Court is not permitted to provide legal advice. Individuals filing for bankruptcy without an attorney are still responsible for knowing and following all of the legal requirements. Low or no cost legal resources are available in all divisions of the bankruptcy court. For additional information on hiring an attorney, click here.
What is eSR?
- eSR is an online tool to help individuals complete a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition when they have decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney.
Who can use eSR?
- Individuals who wish to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition and who live in the Central District of California can use eSR. To determine if you can use eSR, enter your residential ZIP code in the ZIP Code Search.
- eSR is not available for chapter 13 filings at this time
- Important Note: eSR is not available to attorneys or bankruptcy petition preparers. eSR is not designed for business or corporate bankruptcy filings. eSR is only available for chapter 7 filings.
Why use eSR?
- There is no cost to use eSR. Pay only the chapter 7 bankruptcy filing fee.
- eSR has a guided, step-by-step process that allows you up to 45 days to complete.
- Your personal information is only accessible to you using a unique login and password assigned to you.
- eSR is accessible 24 hours a day from any Internet-enabled computer.
- There is no software to download or purchase.
How do I use eSR?
- Obtain credit counseling from a court-approved credit counseling agency. The law requires credit counseling before filing bankruptcy.
- Collect all of your financial documents before you begin.
- Create a user profile, unique login, and password.
- Answer questions about your property, income and debts.
- Complete and sign the eSR Declaration form.
- Deliver or mail the Declaration form and the chapter 7 filing fee to the bankruptcy court.
- Note: An automatic stay (injunction) is NOT in effect until a bankruptcy case number is issued by the bankruptcy court.
- Note: A bankruptcy petition is NOT considered “filed” (and does not receive a case number) until both the Declaration Form and the chapter 7 bankruptcy filing fee are received and processed by the court.
- You may get started using eSR by clicking here.
eSR Computer Requirements
- Internet connection
- Adobe Reader (version 8 or higher)
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled
- Browser requirements - It is recommended that you use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari.
- For technical and procedural assistance on eSR, please contact the Call Center at 855-460-9641. Alternatively, you may contact us via online chat.